Sunday, September 15, 2013

Captured Chapter 4

Captured, Chapter 4
Written by Virginia Leonard
Copyright, 1997

                 Rhoane chuckled to herself all the way down the hall.  No one
would believe what she had just seen and that was too bad because it
would have made a great drinking story.  “Oh well...” she thought.  She
pulled out a coin and began rolling it across the back of her knuckles.
 Rhoane worked everyday to keep her fingers nimble and the exercises had
served her well.
                She took a seat at a table in the back of the main room and
settled in to wait until dark.  Brandy made certain that she kept her
lover’s ale mug filled and tossed a wink in the thief’s direction every
chance she got. 
                 Rhoane settled back in her chair, propped her feet up and made
herself ready to wait.  There was always the waiting.  In her profession,
the actual work took only a matter of minutes but the planning and the
confounded waiting took hours and sometimes days.
                She did not mind it that much.  The down time gave her the
opportunity to study people which was sometimes the key to her
success.   Rhoane had rarely been caught and even those few times were
because of someone else’s mistakes, not hers. 
               
                “You certainly look deep in thought,” Gabrielle said as she
walked over to  Rhoane”?s table. 
                 Rhoane chuckled and motioned for Gabrielle to sit down.
“Funny, the scene in your room reminded me of when Xena and I first
met.”
                Gabrielle blushed crimson and looked down at the table.
“Oh?”
                “Yeah,” Rhoane smiled.  “She was a bit of a tight ass then.”
                Gabrielle burst out laughing.  “Like she’s not now?  Tell me
how you two met.”
                Before  Rhoane could begin, Brandy appeared bringing with her a
full mug for the bard and a refill for her new lover.  She leaned over the
table and spoke in a soft voice.  “Once we close it usually takes my
father about an hour before he’s deeply asleep.  He goes home before I
do so it won’t be that unusual for me not to be there.”  Brandy paused
to check the hourglass and its pegs.  “You’ve got about 3 hours to
kill.”  She grinned then turned and walked away.
                 Rhoane watched the young woman then took a deep breath and
began...
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
                “You want me to take what from who?!?!?!?”   Rhoane slammed
her mug down on the table. 
                Lozesta put his jeweled hand on her arm, hoping to calm the
agitated thief and shot furtive glances around the room. 
                “Oh be serious,”  Rhoane continued.  “everyone in here has
something to hide.  They don’t give a damn about what you and I are
discussing.  What I want to know...” she leaned closer, “…is how, in the
name of Hades, do you expect me to steal the dagger of King Creston
from that insane female warlord??
                “That’s not exactly MY problem now is it thief?  I’m prepared
to pay one hundred dinars now...and one hundred upon its delivery.”
                 Rhoane sat there looking at him, trying her best not to let any
reaction show on her face when deep inside, it felt like the Furies were
throwing her heart around her ribcage.  “One....” her voice betrayed her
image of pure calmness when it squeeked, “hundred now and another
hundred when I hand it over.”
                “Take it or leave it.”
                “I’m risking getting my throat cut.  Xena don’t play!”
                “Take it or leave it,” Lozesta hissed.
                “Obviously your mother never taught you manners.”
                Lozesta, in a flash of anger, raised his hand to slap the
impertinent thief but before he had moved more than an inch, he found it
wrenched up behind his back and the side of his face mashed against the
table.
                “Don’t you ever raise your hand to me again.  I’ll kill you.”
 Rhoane’s voice was quiet, controlled and it sent shivers down the rich
merchants spine.  All he could do was nod his head.
                 Rhoane let him go and straightened up, brushing the front of her
clothing down and returned to her seat.
                “Good.  Now that we’ve established the working parameters I
need to plan.”  Her smile was genuine and quite disarming considering
the position she had just taken with her benefactor.
                They spent the better part of an hour discussing the location of
Xena’s raiding party and where, it was believed, that she kept the
dagger.  Lozesta finally departed and Rhoane walked out a few minutes
later mumbling to herself.
                “You’ve lost your mind.  Nobody in their right mind would
waltz into Xena’s camp and attempt to steal anything.”  Then she felt
the pouch of coins pressed against her chest.  “Well, maybe for two
hundred dinars.”
                She had ridden as far as she dared then left her horse standing
in a thicket with the command to hide.  She was now crouched just
outside the firelight and watched the camp.  It was obvious which tent
was the warlord’s; there was constant activity in and out of it and even
though she could not be certain,  Rhoane was fairly sure that she heard the
sounds of female laughter coming from the tent.  She raised and
eyebrow at the possibilities.
                 She waited.  Waited until all but two sentries were asleep,
checked the position of the stars then began her silent trek into the camp.
                She made it to the tent easily enough but was totally
unprepared for what she found inside.  Xena was asleep on a large cot
and laying on a mat next to it was a beautiful woman, naked, ankles
bound, wrists bound and tethered to a leg of the warlord’s bed. 
                This was not something she had planned for.  The possibility
that one of Xena’s prisoners would be held in her tent had never crossed
the thief’s mind.  She crouched in the corner and tried to decide the best
way to proceed.  Should she free the captive or let her be?
                 Rhoane would deal with that question after she found the Creston
daggar.  She crept over to the locked strong box and studied
the locking mechanism.  Easy enough, she thought.  She pulled two
slender picks from her pouch and had the lock opened in only seconds.
She cracked open the lid just enough to peer inside and smiled when she
saw the dagger handle sparkling in the faint light of one lantern.
                 Rhoane reached in and slowly closed her fingers around the hilt
then, after shutting and relocking the box, she tucked the knife down the
front of her pants.  Rarely was she ever searched down there.  She
started to crawl out of the tent when the tethered young woman moaned
and shifted on her mat. 
                The thief was caught in a dilemma.  This captive was probably
going to be sold to the slavers and as much as she hated them she feared
this warlord more and wondered if releasing the woman was worth
risking the wrath of Xena?
                No, it was not, Rhoane thought.  She liked her life and did not
see any reason why she should risk cutting it short for a woman that she
would likely never see again. 
                The hardened outlaw had made it to the flap and was ready to
crawl out when her conscience kicked her squarely between the eyes.
 Rhoane dropped her forehead to the ground and silently groaned to
herself.  You big pushover, she thought to herself, if anyone finds out
about this you’ll never live it down. 
She was about to cut the ropes that bound the captive’s wrists
when the young woman looked at  Rhoane and began shaking her head no.
                 Rhoane put her fingers to her lips pleading for silence.  “It’s
OK...I’ll help you get away,” she whispered.  Again, the woman shook
her head in the negative.  “I understand you’re afraid...I am too but
I’ll...”
                 Rhoane’s sentence was cut off by a foot coming to rest in the
small of her back.  A large, heavy, booted foot.   Rhoane grimaced and
slid her knife back up into its holder under her sleeve.
                “She tried to tell you she didn’t want to go.  Now look what
You’ve done.”  Xena growled.
                “Meaning no disrespect, Madam Warlord but...you’re about to
crush one of my kidneys and I’d like to keep them a while longer.”
                “What if I decide to cut your throat?”
                “Well....you’d have a bloody mess on your hands but on the
bright side, I wouldn’t need my kidneys anymore.?   Rhoane grunted under
the increasing pressure.
                “Who sent you?”
                “Nobody.”
                More pressure.
                “Really!  Nobody sent me.”
                “You were just out for a stroll in the moonlight and...”
                “Got lost.”   Rhoane interrupted.  “I saw a light and came in here.
Imagine my surprise when I found out whose tent this is.  I’ll just be on
my way now...?
                Xena reached down to grab Rhoane by the scruff of the neck and
pulled the thief back up on her knees.  “I don’t think you’ll be going
anywhere you worm,” Xena hissed in  Rhoane’s ear.  “Rileous., get in
here!  How in the name of Hades did this get past you?  Nevermind, I’ll
deal with you in the morning.  Tie her and put her in the corner.”             
                 Rhoane winced when Rileous pulled the ropes tight and started
to say something less than brilliant but thought better of it when she saw
the look on the warlord’s face.  She was thankful that, so far, no one had
bothered to search her and she prayed to every god and goddess she
could think of that her captors would not change their minds.
                Rileous roughly shoved Rhoane down in the corner and it was
only due to the thief’s agility that she was able to shift at the last
moment and keep the sharp blade from some of her more pleasurable, if
not vital, body parts.  She tried to arrange herself so that the outline of
the dagger would not show through her pants and certainly hoped that
no one else would notice the blade’s golden tip beginning to poke
through the leather seams.
                Xena placed a finger against the naked slave’s face and began
to gently stroke and caress the soft pale skin.  “Tell me, worm, does this
creature look like she wants to be set free?”
                 Rhoane looked up, slightly wide eyed, and shook her head.
“Uh....well now that you mention it...no.  Why don’t we just chalk this
unfortunate incident up to an over eagerness on my part?  We can all
leave as good friends and laugh about it when next we meet.  Whaddaya
say?”    
                Xena had untied her bondmaid and made the woman kneel
between her legs.  The warlord smiled as she kissed soft red lips then
looked over towards the annoying thief.  Standing, she snapped her
fingers and the naked woman immediately jumped into the still warm
cot.  Xena looked down at the reclining figure.  “Sleep, my pet.  We’ll
deal with my irritation later.”  Xena chuckled when she saw the
venomous look that her slave had shot towards  Rhoane.  “Well now, I’d
say my precious doesn’t care much for you...you have a name?”
                “ Rhoane.”
                Xena walked over and placed her booted foot directly on top
of the knife in  Rhoane’s crotch.  “No, she doesn’t care for you much at all
and neither do I.”

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

                Gabrielle’s eyes were wide, “Noooo,” she gasped.
                “Yep.  I don’t think I took a breath for several minutes.”
                “What happened?”
                “Well....”  Rhoane winked, “it was the first time I discovered that
my voice has a tendency to squeak.” 
                The thief sat quietly for a moment, shifting in her chair is if
remembering something painful.
                “Go on,” Gabrielle gently prodded.
                “Xena asked me a few more questions then called for a couple
of her men who, after some quiet discussion, picked me up and threw
me on the back of a horse.  Xena, about 8 of her warriors and myself
then rode out of her camp and towards the nearest village when we
were suddenly attacked by a group of about 25 men...?
                “A rival warlord’s party?” Gabrielle interrupted.
                 Rhoane snorted.  “Oh please...pitiful amateurs.  Two bit outlaws,
common criminals and maybe a few mercenaries but one--one I
recognized.  He had come in with Lozesta and then I realized what was
going on.  One way or the other my presence in Xena’s camp would
have caused some confusion and Lozesta was planning on using that
confusion to try and take Xena out.”
                “You mean he didn’t really want the dagger??
                “Oh he wanted the dagger but he also wanted more.  He
wanted the money that the other warlord’s had pledged for her head
and, for some odd reason, that made me angry.”
                “What, that he was trying to kill Xena?”
                 Rhoane screwed her mouth into a grimace.  “No.  Gabrielle, I
don’t know if you’ve heard but your princess wasn’t a very nice person
then.  I couldn’t have cared less if she were dead.  I was pissed because
that slimy mugwort had put me in even greater danger of dying.”
                 Rhoane paused to take a drink of ale.  “I noticed that Xena was,
for the moment, without an opponent and I rode my horse up next to
her....
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
“Cut me loose, Xena, I know who’s behind this and it’s my
fight too.  You need every hand you can get.” 
                 Rhoane clenched her jaw and met the steely gaze of the warlord
with much fire and determination of her own.  Xena finally gave in to
logic and reached down the front of  Rhoane’s pants to retrieve the dagger.
With a very faint smile touching the corners of her lips, she cut the
thief’s ropes.
                 Rhoane snatched the dagger from Xena’s grip and reared back to
throw.  There was panic on Xena’s face and she knew that there was no
way she would escape death this time. 
                The warrior heard the metal whiz by her ear and embed in the
chest of a man behind her.  She wheeled around to see that he had
drawn back and arrow and was about to release it when the knife found
it’s target.
                A very brief glance passed between the two women, a glance
that spoke volumes and  Rhoane knew that once their eye contact was
broken, the incident would never be spoken of again.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
                Gabrielle sat in stunned silence.
                “What?”   Rhoane finally asked.
                “Why?”
                ?A hundred different reasons I guess.  A sort of twisted code
of ethics.  Nobody, not even a heartless warlord, deserves to die with an
arrow in the back.  Especially when that arrow is coming from a piece
of scum like him.  Besides, I’m a thief, not a murder.”
                “I guess,” Gabrielle sighed.  “I suppose I’ll never figure out all
of these unwritten rules of outlawry, if that’s even a word.”
                 Rhoane softly chuckled.  “I know.  Doesn’t make much sense
does it?” 
                The thief stared at the bard for a few moments.  Gabrielle
needed to understand something about her new lover and  Rhoane was not
sure she could find the words but she knew she needed to try.
                “Gabrielle, I want you to think about something.  Xena wasn’t
as cruel and heartless as her reputation made her out to be.  I won’t
deny that she did some pretty gruesome things but beneath all of that
there was some compassion, there was a warm beating heart.  Do you
honestly believe that if there weren’t she would have been able to
overcome her past and turn out to be the woman that she is now?”
                “I guess you’re right.”
                “I know I’m right.  I saw her cry when a certain few of her
men would go down.  Beneath her anger and hatred were hidden other
emotions and she fought with them continuously.  It took Hercules to
finally reach down and grab them and yank ‘em out of her with such force
that she could never deny them again.”
                “But I’ve seen those emotions try to re-emerge.  I’ve watched
her struggle with them.”
                “And she always will.  She can’t deny that part of herself
either, none of us can, but she’s learned to control it.”
                 Rhoane leaned forward in her chair and turned Gabrielle’s face
towards hers, forcing the bard to look into deep blue eyes.  “She tells
me things, Gabrielle, and one of the things that she tells me over and
over is that you have become her lifeline.  She could not remain who she
is now without you to lean on.  I guess you probably have the hardest
job of all.”
                “What’s that?”
                “You have to hold that hardheaded, stubborn, and tenderhearted
jackass up and believe me, I know how heavy she can get.  I’ve had to
carry her broad butt a few times.”
                Xena walked up to the table and stood looking back and forth
between the dangerous pair.
                “Xena, turn around.”  Gabrielle made a circular motion with
her fingers.  “I don’t know...doesn’t look that broad to me.”
                Xena wheeled around, put her hands on her hips and glared at
her dark-haired friend. 
                 Rhoane cleared her throat.  “’Scuse me, but I need to go warm
my fingers up for this little job tonight.”
                “Why don’t you.”  Xena growled.
                “Warm your fingers up?  How do you do that?” Gabrielle
asked.
                 Rhoane flashed a smile and winked at the bard.  “I dunno.  Think I’ll go
fondle a certain serving maid.”
                The two women watched Rhoane disappear into the crowd.
                “She grows on you doesn’t she?” Gabrielle asked.
                “Hmm.”
                Gabrielle smiled then leaned over and softly kissed Xena on the
lips.
                “What was that for?”
                “Because I happen to be very fond of jackasses.”


No comments:

Post a Comment