Thursday, September 12, 2013

Musings Chapter 4


          Musings Chapter 4 

          Written by Virginia Leonard

          Copyright 1997

     "Artemis told you pretty much what
happened."  Gabrielle shrugged her shoulders and
returned her attention to the breakfast, floating in
sweet syrup, on her plate.
     Xena slapped her hand against the table,
"How can you sit there so calmly, like nothing out of
the ordinary has happened?"  Xena reached over the
table and grabbed Gabrielle's head, shaking it as if
something might break free.  "Hello!  I'm seeing
lights, but..."
     "Oh, alright, if you insist."  Gabrielle was
delighting in teasing her stoic warrior partner.  She
signaled for a refill of her hot tea then leaned back in
her chair, replaying the foggy memories, hoping to
make some sense of the montage of images flashing
across her mind's eye.  "I remember feeling the arrow
hit my chest," Gabrielle said as she absently placed her
hand over the scar, a tiny white spot in the center of
her chest, perfectly round, smooth as a river stone and
completely flawless.  "I never felt any pain.  The next
thing I remember, I'm standing next to a little girl and
we are watching what is happening in the cave."
     Gabrielle shifted in her chair, "I could see
everything.  I knew what you were thinking, what Ares
was thinking, I could feel his anger."  She looked up at
Xena, "He sees your change of heart as a betrayal and
he's consumed with the desire to take you back.  What
I saw in him frightened me.  He's obsessed with you."
     "I know that.  I've felt it once or twice," Xena
replied, her voice barely above a whisper.
     "There were times when the image of you
began to fade and reappear, each time, a little clearer, a
little sharper."  Gabrielle paused, "I saw you standing
over him with your sword raised and I felt his fear.
Xena, he was afraid of you, truly afraid, then he was
excited by that fear and it made me sick."
     Xena noticed Gabrielle's hands begin to
shake and she reached out, taking them into her own,
hoping to pass understanding and compassion through
them to her bard.  "I'm ok.  Ares holds no power over
me, not anymore, not as long as I have you."
     Gabrielle smiled then continued, "It gets
fuzzy from here.  The little girl leads me to a place.” 
Gabrielle shakes her head slightly and sighs.  “I
can't describe it, it's something I can feel more than
see.  Rhea is there, waiting, and when we arrive, she
thanks the little girl then sends her on her way.  I never
knew her name or even what she was."
     "Rhea was in the cavern with me.  I talked to
her and I gave her your body.  I heard her chastise Ares and
for whatever reason, I trusted her."
     Gabrielle laughed, "I feel for Ares.  I don't
think she's a woman to be taken lightly.  Even Zeus
differed to her."
     Xena raised her eyebrow, "You met Zeus?"
     "Not exactly.  I was sort of standing off to
one side while he and several others talked about me.
He's not nearly so terrible looking as the stories make
him out to be, at least I didn't think so."
     "So, what happened?"
     "Rhea told her story to Hades and to Zeus. 
Ares threw a tantrum and forbade Hades to intervene--
big mistake.  Artemis pulled Hades to one side and
they talked for awhile.  Finally, Hades looked at me
and asked some questions."
     "What were they?"  Xena interrupted.
     "Odd, I don't remember but apparently I
answered them correctly because he granted Rhea's
request.  I did have to make a couple of promises to
her though."
     "Like?"
     Gabrielle could feel the flush creeping up her
neck and covering her face, fire touching her cheeks. 
"Don't worry, they aren't promises that I won't like
keeping."
     Xena decided not to ask any more questions
about that particular subject, instead, she focused on
the luminous white scar that was peeping through the
opening of Gabrielle's shirt.  She reached out and
touched it with her finger, "What about this?"
     "I don't know and neither does Artemis.  She's
never had one of her targets return from the dead.”
Gabrielle paused for a moment.  “ You know, she's
quite charming."
     "Mm.  I hadn't noticed."
     Gabrielle laughed.  "She's also very talkative.
I learned a lot during the weeks we spent looking for
you."
     Now it was Xena's turn to blush.  "I'll just
bet you did."
     "Don't worry.  Your secret's safe with me
and I promise never to tell a soul about your ticklish
spot.  Cross my heart."
     "Great Zeus, did she tell you everything?"
     "Pretty much."  Gabrielle's smile grew larger.
     "Is nothing sacred?"  Xena sighed, burying
her face in her hands.
     "Depends on who you ask.  Artemis certainly
thinks so."
     Xena peeked between her fingers with one
eye.  Gabrielle winked.  Xena wanted to die.

                                @@@ 

     Gabrielle waited outside while Xena settled
her account, face raised towards the sun, feeling her
skin tighten as the rays warmed it up.
     She liked to travel and it felt good, no--
comfortable and familiar was more like it--to be back
on the road with her best friend, now lover, looking
for the next adventure.
     She watched Xena going through her usual
routine but somehow, what was once very familiar
movements, had become different.  The way Xena
scratched Argo's nose was more intimate, her hands,
checking buckles and snaps, were more intense.  The
crease that appeared between her eyes when she was
deep in thought seemed more pronounced.  Even her
laugh sounded different.
     "You ready?"
     "What?  Oh, sure, whenever you are."
     "You want to ride?"  Xena asked.
     "No," Gabrielle patted Argo on her shoulder,
"I like Argo, and all, but we still have some
differences to work out."
     Xena laughed and draped the reins over her
horse's neck.  "Whatever."
     They had walked for hours and Gabrielle's
stomach was just beginning to rumble when Xena's
sensitive ears picked up the sounds of several people
crashing through the trees.  In one smooth motion, the
warrior smacked Argo on the rump, a signal for the
horse to disappear then pushed the bard down behind the
bushes and drew her sword.
     "Hey, what the..."
     "Ssh.  Someone's coming and it sounds like
they're in a hurry."
     "I don't hear anything, except my stomach."
     "And you won't if you don't get quiet!"
     In a matter of minutes, a group of five men,
simple villagers most likely, appeared in the road
ahead.  They were armed, sure enough, but with rusty
swords, a dull hunting knife or two and a wicked
looking woodsman's ax.  Xena tried to put on her
fiercest warrior's face and stepped from her hiding
place out into the middle of the road.  The ragtag
group came to a sliding stop, each one bumping into
the one ahead of him.
     "We's armed and ready to fight, we is."
     "Amateurs," Xena mumbled.  "I have no
desire to fight with anyone right now.  My
partner and I are tired and hungry, now why don't
you just let us be on our way?"
     No one moved.
      "Alright, look, I'll put my sword away and
introduce myself then you'll do the same.  OK?"
     Heads nodded in agreement.
     "I'm Xena and this is Gabrielle."  The
warrior gestured towards the bushes as the bard
emerged, picking leaves and twigs out of her hair.
     "Hi."
     The leader of the group took a cautious step
forward and lowered his blade, "I'm Lariolieus, that's
my brother Darius, and that's my other brother..."
     Xena and Gabrielle looked at each other.
     "...Darien.  The other two are friends.  We're
looking for help," Larolieus continued. 
"There's a warlord, Renfrew, headed
towards our village and word is he’s unstoppable."  
"Why, no one raises so much as a stick to
‘im. His army comes in, conquers then, poof, he's
gone, leaving only a few of his men behind to make
sure the villagers do what they're told," Darius added.
     "They say he has a secret weapon but no one
has been able to describe it," Darien chimed in.
     "How far back is your village?"
     "About a mile."
     "Let's go," Xena said after a brief exchange
with Gabrielle. 

                                @@@

     The village looked very similar to every other
outlying village that Xena had seen with one noticeable
exception.  The energy given off here was much
different, more focused and alert.  Already, people
were doing what they could to make homes more
defensible, windows were being boarded, thatched
roofs dripped with water and businesses were loading
their inventory on wagons and moving them to a
different location.  One could not loot what one could
not find.
     All in all, Xena was impressed.  Someone
here knew what they were doing and it was knowledge
that could only be obtained through experience or
formal military training.  "Who's in charge here?” she
asked Lariolieus.
     He pointed to a young woman standing on a
pile of wooden boxes, hands on her hips, watching
intently as her suggestions were being carried out.
"She is."
     "Thanks.  C'mon, Gabrielle, let's go see what
this half-pint's all about." 
     "Don't be too gruff, she doesn't look much
more than twelve and I wouldn't want you to scare her
to death."
     "Look, Miss I came back from the dead,
don't let those breeches get to small.  I'd hate to have
to take you down a notch or two," Xena quipped.
     "Ooh, I wish you would."  Gabrielle reached
up and, very discretely, pinched the warrior's behind.
     The young woman watched the two strangers
approaching her review stand.  One carried herself
with the awareness and reflexes of a trained warrior.
The blue eyes were constantly scanning the
surroundings, not missing much, the young woman
thought. 
     The redhead?  Now that was another
question.  She carried a decent staff and handled it
with great familiarity but without much respect.  She
probably fought only as a last resort, deferring to the
warrior when true battle skills were needed.  Odd,
something seemed strangely familiar about her and the
young woman made a mental note to think about that
later.
     "Lariolieus tells me you're in charge.  I'm
impressed."
     "Why, because I know what I'm doing or
because I'm a girl?"
     Xena opened her mouth to reply but was cut
off by the sharp jab in her side.
     "You know what you're doing," Gabrielle
interrupted, cutting a surreptitious glance up at her
partner.  "That's unusual for a village this small and
this far from any major cities.  Where did you get your
training?"
     "In Hippilos.  I spent two years at the
lyceum."
     Xena arched her favorite eyebrow, "That's an
all male school."
     "Duh.  In case you haven't noticed, I'm slow
to develop," she looked down at her still flat chest,
"and no one ever bothered to look or ask."
     "How old are you?"  Gabrielle asked.
     "Sixteen."
     "I'm Gabrielle, this is Xena and we're here to
offer whatever help we can."
     "I'm Adalai," she cocked her head at Xena,
"and you look taller in your pictures."
     "Pictures?"
     "Yeah, the boys at the lyceum have tons of
 em and they make you look taller."  Now she knew
why the duo looked so familiar.
     All other conversation was cut off by the
shouts of a boy running towards the stand from the
opposite end of the village.  He collapsed, fighting to
catch his breath.  "They're here.  In the trees around
us.  A small group broke away and are maybe two
minutes behind me."
     Adalai began to shout orders, the picture of
confidence and reassurance.  Gabrielle could see why
the villagers had so readily followed this child.  In
times of chaos, all most people wanted was someone
to step forward and assume responsibility, a job that
Adalai was doing remarkably well.
     The streets cleared, doors slammed shut,
window boards were checked and re-checked; the
village became a ghost town with only the echoes of
voices left to keep the armed trio company.
     "What do you want us to do?"  Xena's was
the first voice to shatter the silence and it unnerved her
companions.
     "Wait here.  Let's see what they want."
Adalai whispered.  "I've got several nasty little
surprises waiting for them if they try anything."
     Gabrielle rolled the staff in her hand, testing
and retesting its balance, adjusting, concentrating on it
and not her nerves.  Xena, hands on her hips, absently
toyed with the clip that held her chakram, finding
comfort in the familiar metal weapon.
     Adalai scanned the surrounding area, running
the list of preparations over and over in her head.  Had
she forgotten anything, could she use the sword
strapped across her back, would she live to see the end
of the day, suppose there really was a mole on Xena's
hip?
     They heard the advance party approaching
and shortly thereafter, they saw a group of ten riders,
all heavily armed, coming down the street.
     "I'll be...," Adalai spat.
     "There's your secret weapon," Gabrielle
interrupted.  "No wonder he's unstoppable."
     "Children.  They're using children as
shields."  Xena added through clenched teeth.




No comments:

Post a Comment